Monday, November 10, 2008

Vegan Shepherds Pie

Last night I was looking for a hearty, stick to your ribs kind of a dinner so I decided to make a vegan shepherds pie. Usually I would make two separate meals because my boyfriend eats meat but I decided that that would just be too much work since making a shepherds pie take a while already. It turned out really well. My boyfriend knew it wasn't meat cause I told him but he said he really really liked it. The only change I would make for next time is to cut out the Worcestershire sauce because the veggie meat replacement I used already has a lot of flavour in it.

Here's what you need:

1 lbs ground beef replacement (I used Yves)
1 onion chopped
1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas (to save time and work I used frozen mixed veggies)
1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)

1/4 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

2 tsps vegetable oil (I used olive)
Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice


What you do:

1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 add oil to frying pan.

3 Saute onions in oil (5 mins). Add vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat replacement has initially cooked. If frozen you don't need to worry about that

4 Add ground beef replacement and saute (8 mins). Add salt and pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce (or don't). If it is getting dry you can add some vegetable stock.

5 Mash potatoes in bowl with soy milk, season to taste.

6 Place meatless mixture in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. This is not meant to be smooth or neat, play around a bit

7 Cook in 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown the top.

It Serves fourish. My boyfriend was really hungry so it was pretty much gone by the end of the night.

Enjoy!






No comments: