Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Dinner Help

So this year I decided that it would be a good idea that my bf and I hold Christmas dinner at our house... I think its safe to say that now I am a little nervous about what exactly I am going to be serving. I am the only vegan and Christmas dinner has always been pretty traditional growing up.
My Dad has decided that we still need to have a turkey for dinner so he will be cooking and bringing one to my house which is fine with me, I just won't be eating any of it. I also want to make sure that I have a vegan alternative to turkey that tastes great so that everyone can try some. This is where my researching skills have been coming in.
I have heard a lot about Tofurkey's and Celebration Roasts amongst other vegan holiday food alternatives, but these two seem to rank at the top. http://www.chow.com/blog provided an interesting article from The Wall Street Journal that tested four different turkey alternatives. The Celebration Roast ranked the highest in terms of its overall taste and appearances by non-vegans. So I decided that this is what I would get for our Christmas dinner, but I don't think they are sold in Canada. Dilemma, guess its gonna have to be the Tofurkey, which came in second, unless I miraculously find a roast. As for the rest of dinner, I am going to use a mushroom gravy, wait until http://veganvictuals.blogspot.com/ perfects her vegan stuffing, and keep the butter and milk out of all the traditional sides. Dessert is still to be determined, but i am thinking about a vegan trifle and maybe a pumpkin cake of some sort.
Has anyone out there tried either of these alternatives? Which do you prefer?

1 comment:

KittyPaws said...

One of the best roasts that I make is Bryanna's "ham" roast which is made with gluten and tofu. She also has a "turkey" roast that I will be trying in the next few weeks. They slice up super thin and taste amazing! Good luck with your search. I am sure whatever you decide to make will be amazing.